Haarlem Oil, a bioavailable sulphur used since 1696
he genesis of this medicine dates from the XVII century in Haarlem, Holland which was at that time the centre of Eastern European Alchemy. The Genuine Haarlem Oil (GHO) is composed of three simple elements inside a 200mg capsule: Sulphur 16%,Pine turpentine 80%, Linseed oil 4%. This combination creates a particular bioavailability of its basic components which express the "quintessence" of their respective virtues.
enunine Haarlem Oil was invented by Claes Tilly and Hermann Boerhave, professor at the University of Medecin of Leyde. The production of this remedy required a sophisticated and expensive equipment. The ingredients follow a process that take several days, in which the particular chemical preparation and difficult analysis has permitted the Tilly Family to preserve the secret of the production during 200 years. Claes Tilly passed away during the year 1734, after being successful in the affair. His sons, Koning Tilly, followed by G. Koning Tilly succeeded him. Unfortunately the affair declined after the death of Claes Tilly.
n 1924, Mr Thomas, a French pharmacist started to produce Genuine Haarlem Oil. The Laboratory THOMAS, one of the first French pharmaceutical laboratory, owes its reputation and first scientific jobs to Dr J. LEFEVRE, doctor,pharmacist and ancient interne from the hospitals of Paris.
he Dr J. LEFEVRE laboratories have engaged its studies in the bioavailability of sulphur in 1983 to Professor Jacquot, from the faculty of pharmacy of Châtenay-Malabry. These studies show the exceptional bioavailability of sulphur contained in Haarlem Oil and another study shows the SOD action (super ox dismutase). G.H.O. has been used in France for more than 80 years under medical control with several comparable clinical experiments. Initially, Haarlem oil was also available for human beings, but LEFEVRE laboratories tested its virtues on hounds and horses and launched an special product for horses.